Thursday, March 23, 2017

All About Puppies!

Roly, poly puppies can make any day immediately improved. Their funny attitude towards life, their sense of adventure, and their love of cuddling are just a few reasons we love them so much. March 23rd is Puppy Day, and here at PetCot, can't think of a better way to celebrate than by sharing a few fun facts about these lovable balls of fur.

The Humane Society Animal League for Life claims that there are at least 70,000 puppies born in the U.S. every single day!

Like humans, puppies aren't born with teeth, however, they also aren't born with hearing, vision, or the sense of smell. They tend to open their eyes and begin to hear around two weeks, and their sense of smell comes in around three weeks.

Did you know that a puppy needs between 15-20 hours of sleep a day?

When a puppy is first born, they spend 90% of their day sleeping and the other 10% eating - sounds like a pretty amazing life to us!

Did you know that a dog's smell is 10,000 to 100,000 times better than a human's? It may not start until their three weeks old, but when they can start to smell, it makes up for it!

Because puppies are in the womb with and born with other puppies, they have a need for constant companionship, otherwise, they'll get lonely. 

By the time your puppy reaches the age of one, they are considered an adult. In human years, this is the physical equivalent of being 15 years old.

5 Commands Your Puppy Should Learn


You'll want your pup to learn how to come when you call to them on the first command.


This means that your pup should learn how to walk next to you and keep stride. Stopping when you stop, walking when you walk, and not walking ahead or behind you.


Whether you're cooking in the kitchen and don't want your dog under foot or you're at the park and you've stopped to talk with someone - the sit command is one of the first and most basic commands your pup should learn.


This command can be vital, especially when your pup gets into situations where they need to stay in one place. Start training them when they are young, and do it in a quiet place where they can focus.

Lay Down

Teaching your puppy to lay down teaches them to settle into a spot that you've directed them towards. It's also the first step in teaching them fun tricks, like roll over.

Celebrating Puppies

If you're celebrating puppy day by bringing a new pup home - we're so excited for you! There are many fun-filled days ahead - but also plenty of training days, and you'll need the right tools to get you started. If you haven't picked out a pet bed for your new puppy, we would love for you to consider our raised pet bed. It's a great place to let your puppy relax, and to give them a spot to call their own. Not to mention, our puppy beds are great because they are easy to clean if they have accidents and resistant to chewing with our special chew guards. Visit our website to learn more about our premium raised dog beds for Puppy Day!

Taking Comfort and Care to a New Level for Pets!

Follow ALL Our Social Media Channels!

No comments:

Post a Comment